PLACES TO VISIT:
Clark County Museum 1830 S Boulder Hwy, Henderson. Open daily 9am to 4:30 pm. (702) 455-7955. Admission $1.50 adults, $1.00 children and seniors. Main building features history of southern Nevada exhibit. Heritage Street features several historic moved buildings restored and furnished. The public can tour the 1932 Boulder City Railroad Depot and a restored Union Pacific caboose.
Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Park, 500 E Washington (corner of LV Blvd and Washington) Open daily 8:30 am to 4:30 p.m. Admission $2.00 adults, $1.00 children 6 to 12, under 6 free. Nevada's oldest standing building, the Fort has a remnant of the original complex, restored and containing historic artifacts, plus a re-creation of the Fort walls and tower.
Nevada State Museum and Historical Society, at the Springs Preserve on Valley View and Alta, Las Vegas, NV. Open daily 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (702) 455-8205. Adults $2.00, members and children under 18 free. Exhibits on history of Southern Nevada, pre-history and natural history. Changing exhibits. Library and research room includes index to Southern Nevada newspapers through late 1960s, photo and map collection and more.
Neon Museum, see free display of historic Las Vegas signs on Fremont Street. The Boneyard and Visitors Center is not yet open to public tours. For more information call 229-5366 or visit the website at www.neonmuseum.org.
Las Vegas High School Historic Neighborhood, between Garces and Clark, and 6th to 9th. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the area dates from the 1930s and was home to many of the city's pioneers. It features a mix of architectural styles. Many of the buildings have been converted to use as professional offices. The centerpiece of the neighborhood is the1930 Art Deco style Las Vegas High School (now Las Vegas Academy) at 315 S 7th.
John S Park Historic Neighborhood. Roughly, from Charleston to Franklin, and east of Las Vegas Blvd to 10th, this neighborhood dates from the forties and fifties. Still residential in nature, it is the City's first municipally approved historic district.
Gilcrease Orchard and Nature Sanctuary. The Gilcrease Farm was established in 1920 by Leonard and Elda Gilcrease. Their sons, Ted and Bill each continued the family tradition. During the 1970s Ted established the Gilcrease Orchard that has become a popular "pick and pay" site for a variety of produce. Bill created the Nature Sanctuary to provide a home for displaced exotic birds.
Orchard: 409-0655. Call ahead,the orchard is open seasonally. 7800 Tenaya. Take 95 North, exit right on Ann Road, left on Tenaya. Open Tues - Sun 7:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Nature Sanctuary: 645-4224. 8103 Racel. Take 95 North, exit right on Durango, right on Racel. Open Wed - Sun 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 pm. Fee: Adults $4.00, Children under 13 $1.00.